Saturday, February 23, 2013

Delta Gamma Rises!

I was in distress with my bread. That was obvious from my last post.  Oh, so frustrated!  Who reached out and came to my rescue?  Of course, a Delta Gamma sister!  BadKittyBreadWoman sent me a great recipe for white sandwich bread, and off I was to bake again.

Let me first say something about wonderful BadKittyBreadWoman.  She is amazing!  I introduced her to her husband - one the greater moments of my life.  They now have three beautiful children.  I've always thought her husband was such a great guy, even though he detests Starbucks.  Poor BadKittyBreadWoman; no grande salted caramel mochas for her.

OK, armed with her recipe for the white bread I set off.  Four am.  Ready to roll.  Cats sitting nearby, keeping me company.  The yeast poofs like a cloud, one of my favorite things in baking to witness.  I love to watch the little bits of yeast come to the surface.  First rise of the dough - awesome!  Yes!  I actually shout out.

But here comes the next step.  I can hear Breadman's words.  It's almost like a taunt.

Tension.  Tension.  Tension.

I throw the dough back into the Kitchen Aid mixer this time.  Oh no no!  I am not even going to try to knead the rubbery ball by hand.  This requires a machine!  The churning of the dough hook makes a loud sound, and all I can think of is I'm going to make this cobalt blue machine (how I love it!) burn out.  But still, I keep it going.

I separate the dough into two loaves into the pans, well oiled.  I wait one hour, and then another.

And then another.

And then another.  I wait four hours.  And it happens.  Just like the recipe, the loves rise an inch above the pans!  YES!  I am pumped!  Into the oven they go.  And what did they look like?


I made bread!  It rose!  Oh am I excited!  Little did I know when I took that Delta Gamma oath years ago that it would include study cramming sessions, late night talks over problems with men, trading dresses for formal dances, and yes, even bread recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment