Sunday, March 10, 2013

Sugar Mama


Far be it from me to do anything half-hearted.  Go, go go!  I'm  now on a mission to make THE BEST SUGAR COOKIES EVER for my niece and nephew for Easter.  Yes, in the memory of Aunt Eleanor's wonderful treats from my own childhood, I would like to continue the tradition of those crispy, delectable goodies on that Sunday afternoon after a dinner filled with foods I was forced to eat.  Oh my, there was a time in my life when I didn't eat and was stick thin skinny.  I was tempted with these sugar cookies as a way to get me to eat a regular meal.  I just never ate - had no interest at the young ages of five or six.  Who would want to waste time on creamed salmon when they could go torture the neighborhood boys in the fort made on the swing set?

Sis-in-lawSBUX (we met at Starbucks, hence her forever nickname) is also a baker.  She's a kitchen hottie.  She makes amazing cakes.  I adore her.  Sis-in-lawSBUX made this rockin' cake for her son, DrewBits, that was his favorite digger truck (what is a "digger?"  Um...  I don't know the official term.  It digs things.  Deal with it.)  This cake even had chocolate rocks.  So, when I scored a coupon from King Arthur Flour in Vermont I texted her right away.  Who else to share the wealth?  Ten dollars off!

And we shopped.



Sis-in-lawSBUX was very good.  Limits were kept with her.  Me?  Not so much.  I went on a sugar spree.  Whee!  See photo at the beginning of this post.  Kidlet B commented, "So, have enough sugar for a third world country now?"  But MissEmma and DrewBits need colors!  Colors!  Their sugar cookies have to be pretty!  Light blue and bright blue. Brilliant green and spring green.  Pink!  Granted, three of the bottles in the above photo do belong to Sis-in-lawSBUX.  So I'm not all that bad, right?

I also picked out the cutest little cutters.

Each one is about two inches big.  Petite little sugar cookies.  Ah, c'est bonne!  Je parle le francais tres mal.  I need to speak French, because for some reason I see that I have a lot of French readers on this blog.  I love France.  Their madeleine cookies are succulent.  I need to find madeleine pans.  Perhaps I can use my 15% off coupon that came with the King Arthur Flour box for that.  Excelent.

I'm off to try a new recipe for these little bits of love.  Time to get out the parchment paper, Cabot butter (from Vermont, of course), sugar, and flour.  This will definitely be a sugar high without consuming one caloric bite!

No comments:

Post a Comment