Thursday, December 10, 2020

luz y paz

 Luz y paz

Luz.  Paz.  

Light.  Peace.

As a non-native Spanish speaker I'm drawn to the sounds of those two words together.  The three letters ending with the softest of zees, subtly escaping into the air to worlds of possibility.  I often wonder if those raised with hearing their basic words for our "light" and "peace" would find me crazy to be mesmerized by the combination of such simple sounds.  

Luz.  Paz.

This first evening of Hanukkah I prepped to light my menorah - alone.  My niece texted me, "Happy Hanukkah!" which warmed my heart.  I am the solo practicing Jew in my family, and to have my twelve year old niece recognize my holiday at her age made me feel not so lonely.  Earlier in the day I'd decorated cookies with the Jewish Student Union Club, and later attended my synagogue's "Giant Menorah" lighting, as one of my students described it before.  The feelings of luz...of paz... were present for all these occasions.  

(Yes, this is a Menorah cookie and you'd love it b/c is is FULL of sugar!)

Here in front of my menorah now, I wonder if I'm breaking some rule of the use of technology while the menorah is lit.  I'll admit - the idea of being alone while celebrating Hanukkah - and before Yom Kippur and Rosh Hashanah - has been a bit daunting.  But tonight as I look at the luz, the light, I feel a true sense of paz, of peace, that I have not felt in a very long time.  When I listened to the music and read the prayers for Hanukkah, a sense of calmness...paz...came over me once again.


There are ups and downs and sideways to life.  When I was at Lawrence University for undergrad I was fortunate to hear Elie Wiesel speak.  His words have become a beacon - una luz - many times to the darkness I face as I work as an educator.  This quote especially is the backbone to my soul.

"Think higher.  Feel deeper." - Elie Wiesel

Be the luz.  Bring about paz.



No comments:

Post a Comment