Saturday, June 29, 2013

Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress



Each summer I have a song.  This summer it's this, "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress" by the Hollies.  I remember hearing this song from when I was a kid and just thinking how it was so flipping cool.  I wanted to be the long, cool, woman in a black dress.  But instead I ended up being a short redhead.  The irony.

As I pulled out of Camp Stony on my last day of professional development on Wednesday this song came on.  I am such a believer of signs.  Things just don't happen.  It was my song!  Oh yeah!  I blazed off in the Ghetto Volvo (the new nickname since the accident). Just that morning I had finished watching Amores Perros, a Mexican film set in Mexico City that deals with a horrific car accident and dog fighting.  There's one scene in which a main character plays this Hollies' tune.  I won't give out spoilers, as you have to watch the movie.  The scene just added more coolness to me for the song.  And yes, watch the movie.  There are subtitles for those not versed in Spanish.  The film is intense.  It's not pretty.  But neither is life at times.  For that experience we become all the richer.

So what holds for me this summer?  I was talking with Dads and Kidlet B yesterday at the local coffee shop about how my life has been a whirlwind of classes for a year and a half.  I am used to getting up at 4am, pounding out homework, papers, and lessons, going to school, coming home, going to school, and doing more homework until 11pm.  I'm finding it truly weird to have...nothing...to...do.

I am editing a short story for EveryDayFiction.  They liked the first go-through, but wanted edits.  Will they publish?  I don't know.  The fun is in the writing.  A friend in college once told me, "When it's not fun anymore, don't do it!"  I keep trying to go by his advice with writing, relationships, and everything in general. Yeah, I know it sounds immature.  I was so serious as a kid.  Perhaps I'm regressing.

The summer begins. Yesterday I made a perfect loaf of bread!  Yes!  Talk about signs!  A new beginning!  And this loaf looked like it was right out of a book!  Why did it come out so good?  Because I trusted MY instincts and went with what I knew from past bread-baking experiences years ago.  The kidlets' opinion?  Perfect.

So excitied.  Vermont. Writing.  Cambridge, complete with Burdick's Chocolates.  The Swan Boats in Boston.  York Beach multiple times.  Hanging out with Drewbits and Miss Emma.  Love it!

Look for the adventures! :)

xoxo MausiGal

No comments:

Post a Comment